Veronica franks on meet me at the pole

【 must+be+santa 】 【 Lyrics 】 lyrics related been found

veronica franks on meet me at the pole

Commission meeting last week where the "commissioners," with the advice of the duly elected, voted on ordinances and Frank Bianchi, and Commissioner Paul Haggerty. 9 #h Annual HEALTH .. son of Veronica Seiga of Palm . program shocked me, as many do. It was a es to curb poles and prop-. Inside the All-Female Trek to the North Pole Jay Z, Kanye West, and Frank Ocean Did Not Steal “Made. gift wrapping; Hilversum; The Offender meets The Pretender; VPRO Studio Negro; Strawberry Fields ; Wax'o Paradiso ​; Veronica And Lewis; Capitol Records; Come On To Me; Double. with my wife Anthea (see page x: About Anthea, Opal and me) and contin ues almost daily, mostly axial field of possibilities running between these two poles. Then Lynne Franks said this was 'the most stylish charity event. I've ever Michelle and Anton (briefly), then joined by Veronica, Hannah,. Andrew, Ben.

Later in the war,the remains of the house in York Road was the scene of a Civil Defence competitionbetween two teams of firemen and ARP workers. They had to rescue a little girl-me- trapped in an upstairs room whilke her distraught mother-a neighbous of ours by the name of Mrs Wright-pleaded with them to save her little girl. I had to lean out of the window and call for my'mother' and then wait to be rescued. One team lowered me down on a sort of seat on a rope and the second team carried me down fireman's lift on a man's back.

Miss Ellen Wilkinson,who was in the coalition goverment during the war,presented a prize to the winning team. She said that my make believe mother and I were as good at acting as film stars. I read them avidly,and there wasn't much I didn't know about the film stars of that time. I couild go on and on. Before he went into'munitions',my father was manger of Freeman Hardy and Willis ,the shoe shop in Regent Street,Leamington Spa,and Thursday was early closing day.

veronica franks on meet me at the pole

He always took my mum and me to the pictures first house every Thursday evening. We usually went to the Regal. In fact I don't think we went to the Scala at all. It was generally known as the 'Flea Pit'.

veronica franks on meet me at the pole

I used to sit by the aisle,then my mum and then my dad. I would sit lost in a dream world,soaking up the music and dancing of the Hollywood musicals ,and as young as I was I appreciated the superb acting of our British stars.

I wa quite good at imitating some of the people I saw on the screen,and my family would roll the carpet back at one end of'the room',and I would entertain them. I got applause too. I can still do a passable Carme Miranda to this day. I have always loved dancing,and perhaps this stems from the fact that I used to go to the Linden School of Dancing every Saturday afternoon.

I learnt tap and ballet and what was called Musical Comedy. I used to do the splits for that. I used to like the start of the newsreel at the cinema. Loud stirring music wa followed by Geoffrey Summers stentrious voice announcing 'this is the Gaumont British News. Whatever was shown about the war,it always included a clip of British tommies grinning at the camere and giving the thumbs up.

Justto show us they weren't downhearted,I suppose. The war was on Pathe News as well,and that started with the words'Pathe News'over a large cockerel crowing,accompanied b more stirring music. The radio was the main source of entertainment for people during the war. I ca still sing the signature tune to that one. I loved the beginning of In Town Tonight.

It was a Friday night programme,and it would start with the sound of traffic, and then a man's voice would shout 'Stop'. Then the announcer would say'Once again we stop the roar of London's traffic to bring you' and he would go on to tell us the names of the stars on the programme that evening.

veronica franks on meet me at the pole

People working in factories had non stop music played to them to keep their spirits up, and to help the long day's toil along. Twice a day there was a programme called 'Music while you work',and popular songs were played so the workers could sing along. My friend and I made up a couple of lines to sing to the signature tune-it went: Whsitle while you work Hitler's barmy,so's his army Whistle while you work' People in fatcories were also entertained in their canteens during the dinner break.

Entertainers toured the fatcories,and these half hour entertainments were broadcast by the BBC, and were called Workers'Playtime. You didn't know which factory it was being broadcast from. We were only told it was coming froma factory in the North of England or whereever. A young girl by the name of Vera Lynn became everyone's favourite.

She sang songs whose words conveyed all our feelings during those dark days. She also went abroad and sang to the troops,often coming under fire herself. She became known as 'The Forces Sweetheart',and also became aDame some years sfter.

So called experts told us how to'Make Do and Mend'. Most of all I likes Mabel Constanduras who played two parts. An exasperated woman trying to explain to a very tetchy 'Grandma' the finer points of wartime recipes and handy hints. It wouldn't have been any use going to the seaside anyway. Most of the beahces around the coast had fortifications on them,and trippers were banned.

In Leamington Spa we had what were called 'Holidays at Home'. There were two or three marquees on the Pump Room gardens,and outside the biggest one was part fenced off with an open air stage,adnd seats for the audience. There you could sit and be entertained by such stars as Leslie Hutchinson,-better known as Hutch-Ivy Benson and her all girls band,and comics, one of whom was Rob Wilton,who took great delight in telling us what his missus said to him the fay war broke out.

The were talent contets ,children's shows. You name it,they had it. All to keep us entertained and at home during the summer. My mum was so busy looking after us all at home. I used to drive her up the wall I know,from asking if I could go down to the Pump Room gardens to see what wa happening. To shut me up she would say "Oh go on then, but don't be long".

I would hang over the wooden fence watching the couples dancing on the grass to records and,sometimes a live band. I studied their steps and then went home and practised them in 'the room', and that is how I learnt ballroom dancing.

We were about the same age,give or take a month or two. Her mother and mine used to go and sit in the park of an afternoon when Christine and I were babies in our prams. They sat on the same bench one afternoon and got talking, and a firm friendship developed between them. At that time Christine and I were too small to talk, but we made up for it though as we became friends too. We used to stay together and stayed at each others houses. Mrs Gosling-Christines mum-had to go into hospital once ,and Christine stayed with us.

On our way home from schooleach day ,we stopped off at her house and made Mr.

veronica franks on meet me at the pole

Goslings bed, and did any washing up or tidying that needed doing, so things were would be nice when he came home from working on the tobacconists counter at Burgis and Colbournes. We are still friends sixty years later. She lives in Kent now, and is a grandmother several times over. We meet only occasionally,but when we do carry on chatting as if we had never been apart.

My other fiend,Shirley Harper-the one who passed her11plus and went to college -lived at the bottom of Church Hill with her parents John and Margaret Harper,her brother Tony and younger sister Jennifer. Mr and Mrs Harper kept a grocers shop, and sold the creamiest ice-cream you have evr tasted,made on the premises. They also had a milk round and delivered to our house. They were a close -knit and loving family. John Harper was enlisted into the RAF. His wife kept the business going and he used to help with the milk round when he came home on leave.

On his last leave he said "Goodbye" to all his customers as he had the feeling he wouldn't come home again- and he didn't. He was a navigator on a bomber,and was shot down during a raid over Dusseldorf. Margaret Harper only died two or three years ago, and like our Queen Mother was a widow for much longer than she was a wife. That was the fate of thousands of other women too.

Margaret Harper brought up her three children ,and ran the business,Tony grew up to be the spitting image of his father. It was as if John Harper was living through his son. My dad was a special consatble,He used to get dressed up in his uniform in the evenings,and go out on the beat around Leamington Spa. Anothe special used to come and call for him. His name was Mr Fuller. He had lost his toes through frostbite during the first world war. I used to gaze at his feet encased in shiny black boots,and wonder what happened in the spaces at the toes of his boots,or where there spaces?

Did he buy boots three sizes smaller than he would had done had his toes been there? I used to see my dad when he was on duty at the Holidays at Home.

I thought that it was great to be seen on such friendly terms with the law. I have his Civil Defence medal, and his medal for the Faithful Service in the Special Constabulary,awarded to him for long service by the Secretary of Sate in I have a lovely photo of him and his colleagues on parade for the Mayor's Sunday in November ,and a letter from the then Mayor,Councillor Prucell,to the Police Superintendant,J.

Gardner asking him to convey his keen appreciation of the 'specials'efficient services,when they escorted him on that Sunday. Dad was very patriotic. Whenever the National Anthem was played on the radio at home he insisted we all stood to attention. Even though he wasn't usually demonstartive,he got quite emotional one Christmas when he was toasting 'Absent Friends', and his voice broke and he couldn't go on when he toasted my brother Frank,who was then in North Africa.

Dad was well into fifites during the war, and what with working in'munitions and being a special constable, he must have felt weary,but I never heard him complain. Come to think of it I never heard much complaining fron anyone during the war years. Everyone seemed to buckle down and get on with things. If anyone did moan about the lack of something,you would more than likely hear the person they were moaning to say "Don't you know there's a war on?

What can I say?

85 best Pole images on Pinterest in | Pole dance, Exercises and Pole dancing fitness

How ca I get across how hard she worked during the war? She and millions of housewives like her were the unsung heroes of the war. They didn't actually take up arms. They wrote lettere and sent parcels to the men and women away from home,and kept their families warm and fed as best they could. My mum kept a large house with numerous rooms and staircase spotlessly clean,and without electricity and running hot water. We had gas light in all the rooms ,but no light at all on the stairs.

The gas copper in the kitchen did for the very large weekly was,as well as to fill the bath in the kitchen. We ironed witha gas iron that had a long metal flex that fitted onto a gas jet. I used to turn the handle of the big mangle that stood in the larder,while my mother fed sheets and towels and other articles through it,after she had washed them by hand, or boiled them in the copper.

She used to llok after about eight of us at times. It would depend on how many soldiers we had billetted on us ,or if we had an evacuee. Then there was the shopping. It all had to be carried home from town. No delivery boys or car boots to be filled in those days. Looking back I suppose the more peopleeee you had in the house, the more food coupons you had.

So you could do more with what each person was allowed. Whenshe was older ,Mum's right shoulder was much lower than her left. She said she reckoned it was carrying a heavy shopping basket home for all those years that had done that. Talking to my brother Bob abd sister Mollie about how hard Mum worked during those years,Bob said he knows he never went hungry and Mollie said she just doesn't know how Mum did it all. Life was so upside down in those days.

Mealtimes were disorganised with the family and soldiers all working different times. Then when the raids on Covenrtry were at their height there were nights when the sirens went and Mum didn't get a lot of sleep.

I am ashamed to say now I took her for granted. She was my Mum and that's what mums did. He was born inso he was 24 when the war declared. He worked at Courts the builders in Leamington Spa, and was a quantity surveyor. He actually saw some opera ,at the Opera House. Frank was very good looking. He looked very much like Tyrone Power or John Payne, the film stars. He had lots of girlfriends and used to claim a hanky off each one or perhaps pinched one,I don't know, but when he and Marjorie were married she had along length of hankies tied corner to corner.

When I was nineteen,I went to work at Leamington Spa telephone exchange. That was in the days when it was manual working. In fact it was so manual ,you actually had to pull a key back on your switchboard to ring the bell in the subscribers'house.

They are called customers nowadays. One of the telephonists said to me,'ooh, are you Frank Atkins sister? She and the other girls used to go weak at the knees when he walked in. That was a ladies'hairdressers as well.

Perhaps it was one of the first unisex salons? Mum used to write to Frank every Monday afternoon after she had finished her mammoth wash day, and cooked dinner. It was,I should think, a chance to rest her legs before the influx of people for the next meal. We always had cold meat,mashed spuds and picklea nd rice pudding on washdays. She also used to write to him occasionally, and Mum enclosed my letter with hers.

I even thought of a ruse to get me out of going to Sunday School on Sunday afternoons. Well I had already been to the Children's Service in the morning, and I thought religion in the afternoon as well a bit much.

Mind You-afternoon Sunday School was one way pf getting rid of the offspring,while parents had their afternoon ''nap''. I decided I was going to write to Frank every Sunday afternoon, adn I went to my attic playroom, sat at my deskand wrote a long letter to Frank. I told him what us kids would like to do to Hitler if we ever got our hands on him. Thins like tying him up and sticking pins in him all over, and covering him with honey and letting bees sting him. W ell that idea lasteted just one Sunday.

I gave the l;etter to my mum and she wanted to know when I had written it. It turned out I had been so quiet she thought I was at Sunday School.

So that was it. A good telling off, and packed off to St. Mark's the next Sunday,under th gueardianship of Mickey Cooke. Frank wrote home reguarly, and he used to pop the occasional note in for me.

He would write a few words of Italian and tell me what they meant, and I used to brag to the kids in the street that I could speak Italian. Frank was a sergeant by the time the war endedand he came home on a month's leave, and was married to Marjorie in October I was their bridesmaid.

They had a short honeymoon in Mlavernand the Frank went back to Italy until he was demobbed in June He went back to Courts until he retired, after working there for 50 years. He died of cancer the day after his 73rd birthday. As you know the family name is Atkins. I thought that very apt for Frank,him being in the Army,as the first British soldier has been calles Tommy Atkins ever since the first world war, adn Frank's second name is Thomas after Uncle Tommy, who was a Tommie in the first world war.

And I Was In The Brownies

When I was at school, Mr Parker, our history teaher,looked up the origin of our surnames. An Atkins apparently, was a serf on the baron's land, and we were in bondage. She was introduced to him on a train ,by a mutual friendand she said" That was that". They got engaged before Frank went into the Army, and Marjorie went to work at the food office, issuing ration books and clothing coupons.

She said it was areal eye opener on how devious peoiple can be. People who came in for ration books had all of a sudden acquired lots of relatives Despite the world situation she says she quite enjoyed it and was even seen fleetingly in a film called 'The Gentle Sex' in which Rex Harrison and his then wife,Lili Palmer, starred. She was in a crowd scene with other ATS. The whole family trooped to the pictures to see that. During May the Ministry od Defence had a Salute-The Soldier week, and also weeks to salute the sailors and airmen.

Marjorie and other ATS helped at exhibitions showing aspects of army life and weapons used,including tanks. Marjorie had her picture in the paper, sitting on a mini motorbike that could be dropped by a parachute. The exhibition was in Bobbys store in Eastbourne. It was a very warn May that year, and when the girls were off duty they went up on to the roof of Bobbys to sunbathe.

They took off their uniforms and lounged around in their underwear. Marjorie said no one wore the standard issue of army knickers. They were so frightful they bought their own. While they were sunning themselves they heard laughter. They walked round the balustrade that encircled the roof to see where the laughter was coming from. They couldn't see anything until one girl noticed a window in a building opposite, and they realised,to their horror,they were just across theroad from the NAAFI,and there were quite a few servicemen at the window having a good eyeful.

Needless to say Marjorie and the other girls blushingly retired off the roof to more private quarters downstairs. Marjorie went back to the ATS after she and Frank were married,and he went back to Italy,but being a married woman she was automatically released after six months.

She went home to Kenilworth to live with her parents, and Frank joined her when he was demobbed. In January they moved into their first home, a flat opposite Courts where Frank worjked,and raised a family. A daughter Susan and a son David. During the war she worked in the copper hose and tube shop at Lockheed. When Carl left home, the whole village gave him a party.

Other local men who volunteered were: This photo shows two local boys, Roy Smith, left, and Carl Jones. During the First World War, the foresters had not been trained for combat. This time around, because of the very real threat of Germany invading the United Kingdom, the Canadians were considered combatant troops and were given military training.

The Jones boys received their equipment and some initial training near Victoria, B. They took the train to Beauly, a village not far from Inverness in northern Scotland.

Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jacks 1974

Both Jones brothers were stationed near the town of Kiltarlity. They were members of No. Their camp was called Lovat No. Lord and Lady Lovat lived in nearby Beaufort Castle. The lord himself was a British commando and decorated hero during the Second World War. Here is a photo of Beaufort Castle today; it passed out of the hands of the Lovat family in Logging the Scottish Forest Each of the thirty Canadian companies had about men.

They worked in two sections, one cutting in the bush and bringing out the timber, and the other sawing it into lumber at the company mill. Others performed the same trades as they had in civilian life, working as blacksmiths, cooks and clerks. The men brought with them the most up-to-date logging equipment available in Canada, including caterpillar tractors, lorries, sulkies two-wheeled contraptions with rubber tires to drag logs out of the bush and winches for high-lead logging.

However, axes and crosscut handsaws continued to be their stock tools of the trade. Here two men cut up a fallen tree near Loch Ness in Scotland. Getty Images Scots pine, spruce and larch were most commonly harvested. The men were pleased by the relative openness of the cultivated Scottish forest, in contrast to the tangled undergrowth of most Canadian bush.

Nevertheless, pressure was applied to Canadian fallers to cut trees close to the ground in the Scottish fashion, rather than higher up, which left unsightly stump-fields so common back home. On the left is G.

veronica franks on meet me at the pole

Since they were working even farther north than in most Canadian logging operations, the winter days in Scotland were short and dark. The work was hard, and the damp, chilly climate with mixed rain and snow was more challenging than the cold Canadian winters.

  • US Top 100 Indoor Rankings (12/16) - Girls Field Events
  • The Canadian Forestry Corps

The men's hands were often cut up by handling wet lumber in raw weather. Thankfully these men lived up to their reputation as stalwart Canadian lumberjacks. This is a photo of three unnamed men, showing off their muscles! Many lifelong friendships and marriages were the happy result. A notable tribute was paid by Lady Laura Lovat, who stated: Films were shown in the mess hall, and travelling concert troupes made frequent visits.

Several important personages visited the Canadians to thank the lumberjacks, including the Queen herself. The wooden poles propped up the inside of mine shafts, allowing the miners to extract the metals used for aircraft, tanks and weapons. This included rifle range practice, training with bayonets, and tactical exercises with other military units. Here young Carl Jones is looking very proud of himself in his uniform: Usually a khaki beret was worn, but here he is sporting his Glengarry beret, the traditional headwear of the Scottish regiments in the Canadian Army.

The men engaged in plenty of sports, track and field events, and games. They even brought the previously-unknown game of softball to the Scottish highlands, which at first was not well-received.

An article in the Edmonton Journal on September 13, said: There was a skeptical Scottish audience for the first softball game held on a village soccer field. The Invasion of Europe Bymanpower problems in the Canadian Army meant about foresters were moved into combat engineering units or combat regiments, in preparation for an all-out assault on Europe.

After the successful invasion of Normandy in Junethe demand for timber to rebuild bombed bridges and roads was high. Rather than use precious cargo space in ships, dozens of huge timber rafts were assembled in Southampton and moved with tugboats across the English Channel.

Of the thirty forestry companies, ten returned to Canada to continue cutting wood to meet the fuel shortage in this country. Among those who were shipped to the continent, six forestry companies were called out to hold the line in France and Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge, the last major German offensive in Decemberwhen Allied reserves were stretched to the limit.

Carl Jones landed in France on July 30, and later served in Belgium and then Germany before the war ended. Pat Hennessy of New Brunswick wrote in a letter home: God bless them all. But now the war in Europe is over and we all have a longing for home. Like so many other Canadians, the brothers were eager to get home, and to stay home. However, he wishes to remain in his home district and has no desire to return to his former employment in a bank, so logging is the only field open to him.

They even trucked Christmas trees as far as Idaho. Carl married his wife Marion Cleland in